Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Personal "Affordable Health Care Act" Insurance Story




My Personal "Affordable Health Care Act" Insurance Story
Let me be clear...I'm grateful for the medical industry and the medical care my family has personally received. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to have an insurance plan for my family. I live in the medical care capitol of the entire world. The following is my story and is not a complaint. When we share our story things often began to change.
According to Guidestone (my baptist medical insurance company at the time), "Due to the "affordable health care act" your medical insurances cost are going up this year" I decided to shop my medical insurance for 1st time in more than 7 yrs. I went with Miller & Loughery which had basically the same plan for a much better rate. They also had all my other insurances and everything stayed pretty much to same. I was happy enough. The next year Miller & Loughery said "Due to "affordable health care act" your medical insurances cost are going up this year." So I decided to at least check out obamacare on the exchange. I reluctantly decided to move to a high deductible HSA which did lower my insurance monthly premiums and we added that difference to the HSA account. Through out the entire last 12 years, we still had Blue Cross Blue Shield so we had the same doctors. Last month we received a letter from BCBS & later one from the exchange stating that BCBS was pulling out of the exchange and our of our state altogether. The letter from the exchange added "not to worry there are several other options". Being on my day off, I decided to revisit my past health insurance providers to see their options from this year. Here is what I discovered:
1. Miller & Loughery: NOT even offering Health Insurance anymore due to regulations from "affordable health care act". BCBS has pulled out of the state and changed how they even offer insurance. NO more local agents.
2. Guidestone: Can't enroll you unless you have a major "life experience". You must have just graduated from seminary, got married, had a child, or changed jobs. I'm kinda already married, graduated seminary, had a kid, and don't want to quit my great church. It's the effects of the new regulations from "affordable health care act".
My only choice is to buy another insurance plan through the exchange. It won't be a BCBS plan since they've opted out.
There are only 3 options from here.
1. This thing gets figured out and stabilizes soon
2. We simply return to the former ways
3. We move to a fully gov't single payer plan

No comments: